By now you’ve all probably seen the collaged and painted wine bottles I like to make, but this new one didn’t have quite as easy of a path to the finished product as the others. I wanted to collage this wine bottle using another comic book I bought in the same haul as the previous comic book wine bottle I posted. I had the idea to cut the pages into horizontal strips to make a really cool abstract pattern on the bottle, but unfortunately, as I worked, I realized that there were too many contrasting colors and the whole thing looked really ugly. Eventually I tried putting a few coats of silver paint on top of the comics pattern to try to mute the colors and give it a nice sheen, but that just looked even worse, so I decided to keep applying coats of silver paint until you couldn’t even see any of the original design.
The finished design has a nice horizontal texture from all of the strips of paper underneath, and luckily the awful pattern underneath has been completely hidden by the paint. To finish it off, I wrapped some plastic tubing around the outside, which I think makes it look like some retro futuristic prop piece from a movie like Zenon Girl of the 21st Century.
While most of the wine bottle projects I make only take a night or two, this one spanned about a month. I suppose every project can’t be a home run in it’s first attempt, but I’m happy I managed to finish it and turn it into something decent (rather than let it sit on my floor for yet another month). If you want to learn how to make the collaged map wine bottle above, you can check out the video tutorial I made right here, and check out more photos of this new one in the full blog post!